I couldn’t tell you how I got here, what I’m doing here, or where I go from here. I can't recall my last 24 hours or what brought me to this island but there’s an implant in my arm leading me to believe this is some type of experiment. I've seen The Matrix before, perhaps this is something similar. The more frightening and perhaps breathtaking thing is that there are all types of prehistoric animals roaming around. As a kid, I would be naive and run up to one of the creatures in astonishment but I'm cautious to see if this is an experiment or not. I told Mary I’d be home by supper; let’s hope I hold true to that.
Before I can even think about what the long-term solution is, I have to get set up for short-term survival. Reality quickly sets in as I realized I've never had to live like this. In my prior life I would go to the grocery store if I needed food, or just buy a house if I needed a roof over my head. There was no time to fantasize over what used to be. It’s dark and daylight should be breaking soon so I collect my belongings and begin to forage the surrounding coast line. I fashion a simple pickaxe to collect resources from the rocks around me.
Before I can even think about what the long-term solution is, I have to get set up for short-term survival. Reality quickly sets in as I realized I've never had to live like this. In my prior life I would go to the grocery store if I needed food, or just buy a house if I needed a roof over my head. There was no time to fantasize over what used to be. It’s dark and daylight should be breaking soon so I collect my belongings and begin to forage the surrounding coast line. I fashion a simple pickaxe to collect resources from the rocks around me.
Avoiding most of the prehistoric creatures, for the next few days I scouted places to set up a home and collected wood and thatch from the nearby trees. I didn't even think if there was the possibility of other people, like me, living here. Sure, there were. This is obvious by the shacks and small cabins I've seen foraging around the coastline. Are they still here?
After foraging and walking miles I land upon a beach area that looks doesn't look populated. This was nothing like buying my first home where I was afforded the luxury of being picky. This place has access to water, wood, food, and seemed to be relatively safe. This is as good as it's going to get. I begin constructing a shack after after making piles of fiber, wood, and thatch. If this is going to be my existence on this island, this is going to be hard living.
A week goes by and it feels as if I’ve got the basics covered: fire, water, and shelter. My stomach growls and reminds me that my diet of berries wasn't going to sustain me with the amount of calories I've burned. I've never been hunting but after foraging for some time, I started to track the habits and temperament of the various animals. Parasaur's seem to be native to the area I'm living in and pretty prevalent. I can't say that I'm hungry enough to try and kill one to eat but possibly I can domesticate it as a companion. They seem to be afraid of most of the other dinosaurs and animals around and non aggressive in nature. I track one that's been around my shelter to the a local watering hole near my house and knocked it out by punching it. This may be a bit brutal but I honestly didn’t see any other way to get it down. After knocking it out, I begin feeding it a local dark berry that acts as a sedative. Out of all the berries I've collected and experimented with, there are two types of berries that I use to try and tame the beast. A sedative and one to act as a treat. For hours I sit with it and try to bond and make a connection with it until finally, I get up and it begins to follow me around. I shall name her Athena. I head back to my home feeling very proud of what I accomplished. Here I am sitting, writing, hoping that I’ll eventually make it home.

0 comments:
Post a Comment