I haven't slept at all the last few days. The thought of my "death" looming is putting me on edge. Have I died already or am I still "alive"? These types of thoughts will drive you to insanity on this island. It will lead you to do drastic things as I witnessed the other day. With the the threat of the Pumas lingering, I pack Narco, Bronco, and Terry for and adventure to the north.
Stories of the north uncover precious resources like metal. Its also a good place to collect a lot of stone for reinforcing my inevitable relocation. I pack light knowing that i want to haul a lot of resources back and didn't want anything to weigh me down. This was going to be a long and unfamiliar trek up the coast. Stories of the north also uncover dangerous dinosaurs like the T-Rex and Spinosaurus. I've never been this far away from home so I didn't know what to expect. Either way, I felt prepared. As prepared as I thought I could be.
I journey along the coast taking note of the different geography just in case I find myself lost. I also take note of any animals around. The one thing this island has done is made me more aware. I scan my surroundings now, taking detailed information about things I see. I can tell what type of animal it is by the footsteps. I feel like I've become an expert at reacting to this environment.
I send out a local broadcast after making it to tbe north part of the major landmass. I'm not sure what I wanted to say but I did want to make sure I announced myself as a friendly reporter scouting the area. Nothing came back and i proceeded to the top of the mountain. As I got closer to the metal the temperature dropped significantly. Hypothermia significant. Common sense would have told me it would be colder but the cloth shirt and pants I was wearing tells you I didn't have any. So much for feeling prepared.
I start a small campfire to warm up and begin hacking away to collect metal and stone. It was more than I could take with me. After spending a few hours on the mountain i decided to hike back down to the coast. Not soon after hitting the coastline, a saber-tooth tiger attacks Terry. It happened so quick that I had no time to spare her life. The joy i had riding her for the first time turned into a deep sorrow. A sorrow I've never felt for any pet I've had in my life. She was more than a pet. She was a lifeline. A primary source of transportation. Not only did i lose her but Im also miles away in unknown territory. The long trek home just got longer. I prepare for the long journey when an Argentavis flies up and tries to attack me. Majestic was the only word to describe it. It would put an eagle to shame. Instead of killing it I told myself it was a prime opportunity to replace Terry. But I could never replace Terry. I take out my bow and fire arrows as it circles my head. It seemed like forever but finally i got him down. His coat was a majestic red. He reminded me of a phoenix. The old story of the Phoenix that rose from the ashes.
This was a pivotal point in my time here. I have to take risks. Playing it safe only gets you so far. Most of my risks have paid off thus far. I have to establish a network or coalition to try and protect against these tribal attacks in tbe future. A network of several tribes. I have the network and connections to give it a shot. I was the mutual bond between all the tribes. This our my time to rise from the ashes. I had plenty of time to think as phoenix took the longest to tame. I decide to make a campfire and a makeshift shelter for the night since I knew daylight would break soon. The sound of the waves crashing against the shore and seeing the sun setting across the coastline felt as real as real could get. This is my new reality.

0 comments:
Post a Comment