Chapter 5: The Sky is the Limit!



I can’t do this alone.  I had this half-conceived notion that I wouldn’t need anyone.  That I was self-sufficient.  A few weeks on this island and I dont need any more convincing that I have to explore. There’s no way I’m going to get different resources and meet other people if I don’t get out these slabs of wood I call home.  

I’ve been here a while now and I know the easiest way to travel is by air.  There are plenty of pteranodons that roam the coast but my confidence isn’t the greatest when it comes to taming.  I barely tamed my last carnivore and my supplies were running low.  Instead of going out with the intention to get a bird, I went to refill my supplies and get meat to feed a bird, should I find one.  Well of course, this is when the opportunity presents itself to get one.  

On a neighboring island I spot one of the birs I've been seeing and happened to have my bow and some tranquilizer arrows handy.  Now is as good of a time as ever.  The spot wasn’t the best seeing as it was a half a mile from my house.  In this world you have to carry a wide array of things as you'll never know what adventure you will find yourself in. “No risk, no reward”, I heard over and over in my head as I sat with my new friend Terry.  For the next few hours I began preparing for my near future mentally.  I knew I had a challenge in figuring out how to craft a saddle so I could ride her.  I had my work cut out for me.  My knowledge was limited on crafting saddles.  While I could craft saddles for some of the dinosaurs I had, I only knew a few.  Crafting the Terry was within my skillset but I’m afraid the carnosaur saddle was too big and needed a way to weld metal onto hides stitched together.  Well first I needed some metal so I could safely harness her.  Then I needed tons of hide to cover her. Could I really do this? It took over a week of getting tiny amounts of metal from rocks and dozens of hide before I finally had enough material to make the saddle. 

Seeing her fly was comparable to seeing your own child take its first steps.  I can’t explain the accomplishment and pride I felt after seeing her take flight.  I take her back to the house and spend the next few days tirelessly hacking away on rock after rock hoping to turn up some metal.  Rock after rock.  I eventually managed to make a saddle and for the first time I really felt accomplished.  Making a house, surviving.. all of it meant nothing when I realized I could fly; the sky's the limit.  Tomorrow, I have to find out if someone can craft a saddle for Narco. Riding him means I'm much ore of a threat to the smaller dinosaurs roaming the island. Much more of a threat to the people wandering around me as well.

2015-06-27_00021.jpg
Share on Google Plus

About ComplexMinded

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment