I always hoped I would meet some of the tribes on this island on my own terms. Little did I know that was a silly assumption to make. Although I’m still calming down from my adventure a few days ago, I’m excited with my new opportunity to tell a story that’s never been told. I’m putting myself out there and taking chances I would never take in the real world. Where did this new-found inspiration come from? I have to tell you, seeing people still freaks me out. In the real world I seek out social interactions but this world is far from what I’ve experienced in my prior life. Trusting the wrong person could mean your life. Something about the environment makes me cautious about everything. Cautious to see people, cautious to eat the native berries, cautious to get close to the dinosaurs… cautious to even step outside but the thought of being able to add purpose to my existence overrides any hesitancy I have.
I send out a broadcast to the island letting everyone know that I’d like to document their experiences and possibly enrich a future generation with the tales from this surreal environment. I’m not sure if people are taking me seriously, or they are capitalizing on my quality to be naive. I’ve come to the point where telling this story is worth my life. What has this place turned me into?
Earlier I woke up to do my daily chores, only to find the most frightening thing I’ve seen since I’ve been here. An unnamed man riding a T-Rex. Fight or flightquickly took over as I took out my stone hatchet and wielded it like it had any chance against one of the most dangerous dinosaurs in the land. After reality set in, I put away my hatchet and walk closer to get his name. EVG. I’ve definitely heard of him…. but what is he doing at my home… with a T-Rex!?!?
I’ve never been afraid of human contact so much in my life but I muster enough courage to talk to EVG. I can’t lie, my inquisitive nature wants to know more… Even if it means putting myself in a dangerous position. EVG, although very intimidating, was able to spare a few moments and chat with me. I’m curious about the Leper Colony but I don’t want to come off like I’m too curious. We all know what happened to the cat. Instead of asking a ton of questions about his tribe and where he’s located I figured I start off with a compliment. “That’s a nice T-Rex”, I say nervously, waiting for any indication he’s going to attack so I can take off. His T-Rex let off a roar so commanding that it could wake up a hibernating bear and make the biggest lion flee like a house cat. “Thanks”, he says, not even phased by the sheer power he’s sitting on.
We end up chatting for a little bit and it becomes increasingly evident that he’s been here longer than me. From the looks of it, his people are well established and are looking to capitalize on some of the crystal and metal on the mountains not too far from here. EVG didn’t tell me this. Earlier that day I heard a broadcast of a survivor on the island seeking permission to go to the mountain and get resources. Permission? Isn’t this a free world? It wasn’t long before the reality set in that this place isn’t much different from my other life. Survival is taken to a whole other level when your resources are limited and you aren’t afforded the commodities of life; easily at least. Where does that put me in the food chain? I’m just a dodo wandering around waiting to become someone's supper. I let EVG know that I’m just looking to document experiences and I doubt I would be a threat to anyone. While he took this in stride, the reality is that everyone is a threat. Anyone who can compromise your way of living is a threat. We chat for a little while longer and he rides off into the sun while I try to recompose myself.
The temperature swings on this island are beyond anything I’ve ever seen. One second it feels like a sauna, then 2 minutes later a meat locker. I decide to stock up on wood that night and while coming back up to the lake I see a new face. I approach and he takes off running. This immediately puts me on edge and I run inside, lock my doors, and open my poorly crafted windows to try and see if he was returning. He never returned and I have no idea what to think about this new encounter. You would think meeting more people would eventually put me at ease, but the only thing it’s doing is making me realize I need more protection. I’ve never been one for violence but this is a new life; with new rules. I don’t have much longer to get established. I need to make friends and alliances but doing so, I will also make enemies. This is just the beginning to a long saga. Before I go to bed tonight I’m going to send out a broadcast and try to get interviews with the tribe leaders around the island. The reality is that it will put me in some really dangerous territory. How will these tribes feel about me? What’s to say they won't take me prisoner for the valuable information I'm gathering on these tribes? Let’s face it, if I do this right, I will know about all the secrets of a tribe that enemies may be looking to get their hands on. Am I making myself a target?

Hey! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat job, I'm loving the stories!
Keep up the really awesome work! :D
-Skyhawk